May

St. Francis & Apple

Today I thought briefly about becoming a nun.

Thoughts that triggered this:

1. I met 2 Franciscan Sisters a few years ago and we became instant friends. (I’ll be playing a concert at their convent next month)

2. I’ve read a book on the life of St. Francis of Assisi and the simple way he lived and cared for the poor makes me want to do the same.

3.I often wonder what my life would be like if I didn’t have my iPhone or laptop with me. Would I write more songs and notice more people and listen for Gods voice more?

Counter Thoughts

1.I went on a silent retreat at a monastery 4 years ago. I was tired of people, technology, the world and I thought that 4 days of retreating completely would help. I rested, walked, prayed, read, wrote, sat in sun, and had enough after 3 days. Honestly, I missed people ( I tried talking with the Monks but they didn’t want to upset my “silent” retreat ) and I really wanted a latte.

It made me realize that I’d rather try to incorporate a little retreating in my life everyday.

2. There is no reason  I cannot simplify my life outside the walls of a Convent. If I say otherwise, I’m saying that location is more important than heart; and I don’t believe that.

3.As much as technology can be a distraction, it is also an incredible help and time saver. I can’t tell you how many times a day I use Google maps on my iPhone. The key for me is moderation.

As I was reading the book on St. Francis I thought… the reason I like him so much is because he had the guts to follow Jesus the best way he knew how. I want to do that. I feel like I must do that.

9 Responses to “St. Francis & Apple”

1. aimee says:

Which Franciscan sisters did you meet?

2. kristyn keranen says:

I like your neat perspective. This would be great for all of us to strive for….moderation in everything and to serve the Lord with all of our being for HIS glory!

Thank you, Katie. You are an inspiration!!!

3. Katie says:

I met some sweet Franciscan sisters from Manitowoc 🙂

4. Adler Brooks says:

5. Katie, just know we Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity are grateful for the gifts of grace and song you freely share with us. We also are blessed to witness your goodness. May the roads rise to meet you and as St. Francis wished peace on those he met, so we bless you with peace as well.

6. Magie McConnaha says:

Thanks for coming to Camp Franciscan and playing for us, Katie. We enjoyed the music so much. You are a very inspiring person, and I thank you for the few hours that you gave of your time to visit with us.

7. Anna says:

I just wanted to thank you, Katie, for coming to sing and perform for us at Camp Franciscan! You were absoloutely amazing and you really touched my heart in an extraordinary way. I pray for you every night before i go to sleep that you may keep spreading God’s word and encouragement throughout the world. Please pray for me as well and thank you again for helping my relationship with Christ to beome stronger! God bless!

8. Sister Sarah says:

Katie,
    Appreciated your concert earlier this week. I pray that as you grow in your love of Jesus that your ministry to those who hear you will be blessed with the joy of St Francis.

9. Serge says: